import .xmi file generated by MagicDraw UML 9.5

It's said that UMLLab can imort .xmi files in the feature list. But, how to import .xmi file step by step. Could anyone explicitly explain the details? Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• It depends a bit on the content of the XMI file. UML Lab basically supports standard UML, MOF and Ecore XMI.

For MOF and Ecore, import and conversion to UML is supported via a GenModel (File > New > Generator Model) or by using UML Lab's Ecore support.

But since you already get a UML XMI file from MagicDraw, it should be enough to just rename the file from *.xmi to *.uml. Please let me know if that doesn't work. I'm not sure if MagicDraw writes any custom data to its XMI files, so it could be that you have to choose some plain UML/XMI export in MagicDraw.
  • No, it didn't work. I rename *.xmi to *.uml. Try to generate a *.umlcd, but, fail. My *.xmi file is attached below. Actually, it is in the project https://code.google.com/p/algo-trader/ . I would like to know how the system was designed.
    zip
    zip
    algoTrader.zip
  • Ming, I'm sorry, but looking at the MagicDraw XMI you posted, it contains MagicDraw-specific XMI which isn't compliant with standard UML. Additionally, it references a number of MagicDraw-specific UML Profiles, which are not available - they are probably built in to MagicDraw. In short, your best guess here would be to try and export the XMI with MagicDraw to standard UML.

We can also offer to build a custom import for MagicDraw (or other) models as a paid consulting service.
  • OK, thanks a lot. Maybe I should try to remove the Magic Draw-specific profiles myself.
  • There are a number of other differences to standard UML though. E.g. they use different names for some UML types and properties. Those would need to be mapped, too. It's certainly doable, e.g. with XSLT, but it will probably take a bit of trial-and-error to find all the differences.
  • edited April 2014
    If types and properities name are mapped, so there should be some way to achive my goal?